Friday, October 12, 2007

Verb and Reverb

So I take the prince-town to church Tuesday PM to practice a tune with the youth minister which he wants to do Wednesday night at youth-group.
Immediately out of the gate, the reverb that was working fine at home is non-functioning. I trip through the rehearsal and when I get the tramplifier home, I start plugging and unplugging various RCA connectors. Lo & behold, the 'verb comes up, long and spankey just like a Fender should.

I figure I'm hip so I pack it in the Piddley Cruiser next PM, get it warmed up at church, and sure enough, the 'verb is DOA again. I mumble and stumble through his gig, unhappy.
I won't say that I can't play without reverb, but it's like an old-comforting friend.
It builds space.

Back home again, in Indiana, new RCA cables do nothing. Don't know what it is (yet) but I did hear a scratchy sound associated with hooking up the output lead, so it looks like I'll be pulling the tank to see what-up sometime this weekend. Probably a bad connection at the pickup coil.

Thoughts?
Vintage amps sound cool when they are working properly, but keeping them working is sort of a trauma.
I used to really love hot rods too, but adjusting the points each weekend so they wouldn't miss at 6000 RPM was a pain in the wazoo.
And then GM made HEI (High Energy Ignition) and no more worries.
Maybe new has something to commend it, no?