Friday, October 26, 2007

Guinea Pigs and Wheel Alignments

No, the guinea pig wasn't tracking wrong, but the beat-up old Mercury wagon was.

5 years after I installed an inner tie-rod end on it, I decided it was time to get it aligned (wanted to make sure we were going to keep it, as I hate wasting money).

Small, nondescript chores like this are usually what fill days off around truck-boys household.
That and irritating the boy with his own guinea-pig.
(the guinea pig did pull to the left a little, after I installed her in the bathroom with my boy).

Use-it or lose-it vacation. This phenomena probably spawns more ill-conceived household projects than Tim (the tool man) Taylor on amphetamines.

It's a rough balance to achieve:
You've got no money for a real vacation (maybe breakfast at McDonalds) so you figure you'll tangle with projects you've left lay around for a while.
You have no money to do these right either, so it becomes a love of labor.
So I spend my $59.95 to have the wheels put in some semblance of alignment (Vs. the 5-year old tape-measure job it had) which may squeeze a few more miles out of (the next set) the tires.

Sure enough, this thing had more toe-in than a kid checking the temperature in a swimming pool.

Drives better now and the beauty is I didn't destroy anything else in the process.
So ends another successful vacation day.