Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Going tubing, without the boat.

So a trip to Guitar Center netted a matched pair of Groove Tubes 6V6 power tubes.
I had never grooved before, so I was unfamiliar the the rating system.
Apparently, after matching up values, GT gives them a rating which indicates how soon they will "Grind". These tubes rated a 7, which is the high-end of normal breakup characteristics.
I would have preferred a sooner breakup, but this is the set they had, so this is the set I got (6L6's were way more popular). I was figuring 14 watts couldn't damage me too much.

The Groovey tubes went in, and the power went on - for one hour while I burned them in w/ no signal.
Later that night I blew through it a little.
Very nice... The speaker had good presence and the power section had good snap and attack. In fact, as this little puppy has a tube rectifier, any front panel volume above 3½ caused a nice hard clicky transient, and an immediate pull-back into compression. I would speculate that this volume level sucks down the filter-caps right after the transient and then you are riding the DC fresh out of the GZ34.
Whatever the reason, nice and barky. Much like a Rottweiler charging the fence and then being held back... Sweet.