Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Anniversary Memories

October 3O marked the 14th anniversary of my marriage to my lovely bride, and today (the 31st) marks the 30th anniversary of my acceptance of Christ's call and my following him through baptism.

To this day, both are dear to me.

Both mark acceptance that I didn't really believe I merited, and both relationships go out of their way to encourage me in my worth.

I get reflective around these times, and it occurred to me to ask myself - have I really done justice for either relationship? For Christ; do I take enough opportunity to reflect and realize that He authored me, binds me together and causes me to draw this very breath that allows me life here and now?
For my wife; do I show the woman that chose to hitch her wagon to my train the consideration and thoughtfulness that she merits?

Both show me grace - overtly and abundantly - and I am indebted to both more than I can explain, or perhaps even fathom.

Here I stand.
Not particularly proud of the decisions that get to here in my life, but not particularly embarrassed either.
Not embarrassed as life has given me ample opportunity to look around, look outside of myself and see that I am not exceptional. We all require grace on many levels.

My prayer to my Maker:
Keep me reflective, please, of what is forgiven me through You and that You desired this fellowship enough that you called me accountable in the first place.

My thoughts to my wife:
I am sure that I have neglected our relationship many times, and yet we are together.
I express my thanks to you for your perseverance and the hope that awakens in me.

May I always be more like Christ tomorrow than I am today, for the sake of my Maker and all who know me.